Kybella® Pre-Care Instructions
The following are important treatment instructions for you to understand to help avoid unsatisfactory results and complications.
- If you are taking medications that may prolong bleeding, you may experience increased bruising at the injection site. You must avoid aspirin, NSAIDs (ibuprofen, Motrin, Aleve, etc.), vitamin E, fish oil, ginger, ginkgo, green tea, garlic, ginseng, or St. John’s Wort for 10 days prior to your treatment. PLEASE INFORM US IF YOU ARE TAKING ONE OF THESE BEFORE YOU ARE INJECTED. If you are prescribed any of these medications by a different physician, you must consult with them prior to stopping any medication.
- Arnika Forte tablets contain the herb Arnica and the pineapple-derived enzyme Bromelin, which help to minimize bruising and swelling. They can be taken one day before and up to seven days after your procedure, and can be purchased in our office.
- Kybella® should be used with caution in patients on immunosuppressive therapy, or therapy used to decrease the body’s immune response, as there may be an increased risk of infection.
- The safety of Kybella® for use during pregnancy, breastfeeding, or in patients under 18 years has not been established.
Kybella® Post-Care Instructions
- It is normal to be red, tender, and swollen for several days after injection, and bruising is always possible. It is advised that you continue to ice the area for one to three hours at 15-minute intervals, as directed by Dr. Hooper or Dr. Jackson.
- Avoid aspirin, ibuprofen, fish oil, vitamin E, and other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications (like Celebrex) for 24 hours to minimize bruising.
- No alcohol, no smoking, no nicotine, for 24 hours (or forever if you want to look younger, be healthier, and live longer). Avoid second-hand smoke as well.
Contact us immediately for any extreme increase in pain, tenderness, swelling, or have any concerns.