Sclerotherapy Pre-Care Instructions
- Avoid alcohol and ibuprofen for 48 hours before the treatment.
- Avoid aspirin, gingko, fish oil, and products containing aspirin for two weeks before your treatment. If these products were prescribed by your physician, stop using them only if your prescribing physician approves, then resume them 48 hours after your procedure.
- Try to avoid shaving and moisturizers the day before, the day of, and the day after your procedure.
- Bring a comfortable pair of shorts to wear during your treatment. Wear a loose skirt or pants to the office.
- Bring support hose to wear after your procedure. We recommend Sigvaris stockings. Thigh-high styles can be more comfortable than pantyhose. You may also purchase them at our office on the day of your procedure.
- Graduated compression is superior to department store brands like Hanes Alive.
Sclerotherapy Post-Care Instructions
- Immediately after treatment, you should wear your support hose.
- Continue to go about your daily activities after your procedure. Avoid prolonged standing and sitting during the first 48 hours after your procedure.
- You should wear the support hose for three to seven days as directed by your doctor if red vessels were treated and for seven days if blue vessels were treated. For best results, leave the support hose on at night and even when you shower.
- We do encourage mild exercise, such as a walk around your neighborhood the day of your sclerotherapy.
- Leg rest and elevation are unnecessary, and in fact, may promote clot formation.
- You may resume high impact exercise after four to five days as long as you wear your support hose as directed.