Filler Pre-and Post-Care Instructions
As we continue to age, the bony facial skeleton and facial fat pads shrink, resulting in less support for the overlying muscles and soft tissue. This can result in dramatic facial changes, such depressed temples, sunken eyes, deep tear troughs, flat cheeks, and thin lips which contribute to a tired and aged appearance. We restore lost facial volume with the use to Hyaluronic Acid Fillers and Biostimulatory Fillers, like Sculptra® and Radiesse®.
FILLER PRE-CARE INSTRUCTIONS
The following are important treatment instructions for you to understand to help avoid unsatisfactory results and complications.
- Injectable fillers cannot be done if you have had any dental procedures, including routine cleanings 2 weeks before or after your filler appointment.
- Injectable fillers cannot be done if you have had a vaccine of any kind 2 weeks prior to filler or will be getting a vaccine 2 weeks post filler.
- If you are taking medications that may prolong bleeding, you may experience increased bruising at injection site. You must avoid Aspirin, NSAIDS (Ibuprofen, Motrin, Aleve, etc.), and ALL VITAMINS (especially Vitamin E, Fish Oil, Ginger, Ginkgo, Green Tea, Garlic, Ginseng, and St John’s Wort) for 10 days prior to your treatment. PLEASE INFORM US IF YOU ARE TAKING ONE OF THESE BEFORE YOU ARE INJECTED. If you are prescribed any of these medications by a different physician, you must consult with them prior to stopping any medication.
- Arnika Forte tablets contain the herb Arnica and the pineapple derived enzyme Bromelin, which help to minimize bruising and swelling. They can be taken one day before and up to 7 days after your procedure, and can be purchased in our office..
- If a laser treatment, chemical peel, or any other procedure based on active dermal response is considered 3-7 days before or after an injectable filler treatment, there is a possible risk of an inflammatory reaction at the treatment site.
- Injectable fillers should be used with caution in patients on immunosuppressive therapy, or therapy used to decrease the body’s immune response, as there may be an increased risk of infection.
- The safety of injectable fillers for use during pregnancy, breastfeeding, or in patients under 18 years has not been established.
- The safety of injectable fillers in patients with a history of excessive scarring (eg, hypertrophic scarring and keloid formations) and pigmentation disorders has not been studied.
FILLER POST-CARE INSTRUCTIONS
- Do not apply makeup for 24 hours following filler injections. However, if lips were injected, Vaseline or Aquaphor can be applied.
- It is normal to be somewhat red, tender, and swollen for several hours after filler injection, and bruising is always possible. It is advised that you continue to ice the area for 1-3 hours at 15 minute intervals, as directed by Dr. Hooper or Dr. Jackson. The lips may be sore and swollen for several days, if injected.
- Avoid Aspirin, Ibuprofen, Fish Oil, Vitamin E, and other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications (like Celebrex) for 24 hours to minimize bruising.
- No alcohol, no smoking, no nicotine, for 24 hours (or forever if you want to look younger, be healthier, and live longer.) Avoid second-hand smoke as well.
- No upside-down activities (like YOGA) or vigorous exercise for 24 hours.
- No dental procedures, including routine cleanings, for 2 weeks after filler.
- DO NOT MASSAGE RADIESSE, JUVEDEDERM (Voluma, Vollure, Volbella, Juvederm Ultra/Ultra Plus), RESTYLANE (Defyne, Refyne, Lyft, Silk, Restylane), RHA, VERSA, OR BELOTERO FOR 48HRS POST TREATMENT UNLESS SPECIFICALLY ADVISED BY DR. HOOPER OR DR. JACKSON. Massaging these fillers can unintentionally displace the filler and cause more bruising and swelling. Sculptra is a different type of filler and requires massaging to prevent nodules. Please read the Sculptra consent for more information.
Call the office immediately for any extreme increase in pain, tenderness, swelling, or color changes in the skin, especially around the nose. If you are a first time filler patient, please call for any concerns, no matter how small. For previous filler patients, always call for anything out of the ordinary. Our afterhours number is 504-454-7382.